Temperance Hotels started around 1883. This must have been one of the first Temperance Hotel.
Kelly's directory of 1883 had Henry Deer running a coffee and dining rooms in Market Street and BFP recorded the 5th anniversary in March 1888, and by 1891 he was proprietor of the Newmarket Temperance Hotel. It does appear that from starting with a small unit to the right of the entrance to Primrose Cottage Stables, over time it came to incorporate the larger unit to its right (believed to be the Eagle Inn, but that has yet to be confirmed). Certainly by the end, in the 1960's, the Newmarket Hotel was three times the frontage of the original hotel.
|1888||Henry Deer||Bury Free Press|
|1895||Henry Deer died 10 Aug.in Switzerland||Andrews Newspaper Index|
|1901||Lucy Deer (Mrs)||census|
|1911||Herbert Shepherd (in 1912 to Stanley Road Stores) Killed in Flanders in 1917||census|
|1915||Arthur Frederick Langley||Bury Free Press|
|1939||" "||1939 register|
|1944||Alfred Jessop (died 1947)||Bury Free Press|
|1947||Stephanie Jessop (Mrs)||Bury Free Press|
|1951||Mrs Jessop given 3 months imprisonment for running brothel - reduced to £50||Bury Free Press|
|final closure not yet documented|
First premises Has to be post 1925 (year Playford's started) 1960's ? 1933 late 1960s nothing left in 1970
Has to be post 1925 (year Playford's started)
nothing left in 1970