click here to go to the New Wellington c1900 2010 2010
On the west side of Wellington Street, we cannot be sure exactly how much of the frontage was used at any one time by the hotel over the years, but the roofline and 4 dormer windows shows plenty of available space and of the the yard at the rear for stabling and cottages. The sale plan in 1932 suggests that at that time only the centre of the block was the hotel, what is nw Pop's Barber Shop and Cinnamon Indian Takeaway
It was the reason for Tony Pringle's grandparents to come to Newmarket in 1931, to view with the intention of taking the hotel on. Seemingly it did not suit Nellie, but Sid said there was another one going a bit further along, the Five Bells. Even that one did not impress Sid but was deemed suitable by Nellie and the family now count themselves as natives, Tony being the first to be born here
The street and hotel were renamed from Fox & Goose to Wellington after the battle of Waterloo.
Between 1911 and 1913 the magistrates decided to have a clear out of licences in the Rookery area as they realised that with 30 licences in St Mary's ward alone they had one beer outlet for every 90 man,woman and child. The Wellington survived that but obviously there were still too many pubs/beer houses in the area and trade was not really sufficient for all of them. Seemingly Greene King, realising at the start of the 1930s that the Ashley Road -Duchess Drive area, rapidly expanding, had no pubs and they seized the chance to purchase the Whitebridge House veterinary practice at that junction. Fair sized house with plenty of storage space with the stable block and so not too much in the way of alterations was needed. The Wellington in Wellington Street .was sold and the licence removed to the New Wellington in 1932, "Archie" Cornish carrying on as the publican at the new premises.
From the sales notice by Osmond E Griffiths, on 1st November 1932 the premises consisted of :
Top Floor:6 bedrooms (1 with fireplace).
First Floor: approached by main and secondary staircases, 7 bedrooms (two with bow windows) Bathroom, hot and cold with housemaid's sink, W.C., boxroom, large landing with fitted cupboards, and a dining room 26ft 2" by 11ft 10" with bay window and fireplace.
Ground Floor: Bar fitted with return counter, shelving, panelled and tiled dado; Club room with fitted shelving, panelled dado and cupboard; IOffice with fireplace, bay window and fitted cupboards; Smoke Room with fireplace, panelled dado and serving hatch to kitchen; Kitchen fitted with independent boiler, "Rownforth" 10 gallon portable copper and sink; 2 larders with shelving and fitted meat safe; Cupboard under stairs in back passage.
Basement: Good dry wine and beer cellarage and barrel shoot
At the rear with entrance from Welling Street there is a large yard and god outbuildings comprising;
Cycle shed, timber and corrugated Iron built garage for 2 cars, coal place, Urinal and W.C., small store room, brick and slate building of two double garages with loft over, brick and tile built store place.
Several of the outbuildings are at present let to various tenants (who are under notice to quit for the purposes of the sale) and produce an aggregate rental of £50 per annum.
Electric Light, Gas and Water from Companies Mains.
The property is sold subject to the following:
(1) Right of way, over the Yard only, by the owners of the adjoining properties backing on to the said yard.
(2) An easement granted to Messrs Dyer's Stores as to light in respect to three windows opening on to this yard on payment of the sum of £1 2s. 0d. er annum. (3) The right to erect and maintain a pole for the carrying of wireless granted to the General Post Office (Telephones) at a rental of £1 per annum.
It was initially withdrawn from sale at £1,200.
Year Licensee Owner source 1787 Chapman's map 1803 Bury & Norwich Post 1823 William Murrells Pigot 1830 Mary Murrells Pigot 1844 " " White 1855 Robert Jacob Robert Jacob White 1861 " " " " census 1868 " " " " Morris 1869 " " (died 1869) sold Cambridge Chronicle & Journal 1869 Harriet Simpkins Bury & Norwich Post 1870 Charles Crosier (14 yrs lease) William Hogg Cambridge Independent Press 1871 " " census 1874 " " (Died July 1875) Cambridge Independent Press 1876 Susannah Crosier (Mrs) (widow of previous) Bury Free Press 1877 Susannah Crosier married Christopher Turner Bury Free Press 1881 Christopher Turner census 1891. " " census 1891 " " census 1892 " " Tindall 1895 George Harris Bury Free Press 1900 " " Tindall 1901 John Harris Greene, King census 1905 John Harris " " Cambridge Independent Press 1908 " " " " Russell 1911 Joseph Augustus Scanlan " " census 1925 " " " " Russell 1932 Archibald Emmanuel Cornish " " Bury Free Press
click here to go to the New Wellington