CALCUTTA TURF CLUB

Location:- At Oakfield House on the eastern corner of Vicarage Road with Old Station Road

Brewery or Owner:-unknown



Oakfield House at junction of Old Station Road and Vicarage Road, facing Rous Memorial housed the Calcutta Turf Club in Newmarket:

The Royal Calcutta Turf Club, founded in 1847 in Calcutta, British India, became the premier horse racing organization in India during the British Raj. At one time it was the governing body for almost all courses in the sub-continent, defining and applying the rules that governed the sport.

Originally the Club had purchased Oakfield House in Vicarage Road and set up the Oakfield Club. In April 1924 they applied for a licence for a proprietary club to which only members of the Royal Calcutta Turf Club would be admitted. The club would only be open during race days and sales days, about 35 days of the year. Financially supported by the Royal Calcutta Turf Club it would probably lose £ 1,000 per annum. They had paid £ 10,000 for the premises. The licence was granted on 9th April 1924

Requisitioned as Officers mess for RAF Newmarket early in WW2 then became living accommodation for nurses. Later demolished to be replaced by town houses on Old Station Road and a doctor's surgery on Vicarage Road, which in turn (2020) is due to have houses added and become a residential site

KNOWN LICENSING HISTORY
Year Sec. or Manager Owner source
unknown unknown unknown



possibly 1930s




From Vicarage Road - undated




from heath on Old Station Road - undated


As nurses accommodation in 1950s



2018


BACK to SEARCH page